Skip to content

Information for Workers Heading to United States

October 14, 2020

Dear Members,

The HBPA has been working hard to gather as much information as possible for those Trainers and workers planning to head down south to work over the Winter break.

We have been in touch with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection regarding crossing the border with a B1 Visa.  Please see the following information:

  1. At this time, the United States is still issuing B1 visas, as long as the worker can provide proof, they are entering the United States to work not for leisure.
  • Workers flying to their destination, can apply at airports and those driving can apply at land border crossings. 
  • If travelling for pleasure only, you can fly with airlines no problem but under the current policy you cannot cross the border by land.
  • It is suggested that along with the B1 letter, everyone should also take additional documentation to prove that they are going across work. Recommended documentation includes: a letter from the racetrack/training centers confirming that the trainer has horses stabled there, a letter from the horses’ owners stating that the trainer is training horses in the United States. Etc.
  • Also included should be proof that the worker has ties to Canada and will be returning (lease/rental agreement, bank statements or bills with workers name and address (ensure the address matches the address on the B1 letter)).
  • It is strongly recommended that the worker has Medical insurance to cover any medical cost while you are in the United States.
  • Please note, if you are a permanent resident or foreign worker, and you do not already have a B1 pre-approval stamp in your passport, your wait time could be over 97 days to get an appointment with the American Consulate.

Please note: The above information is current and could change at any time and we recommend verifying before booking travel by checking the following:

US Embassy


  Phone: 1-202-325-8000

Border Crossings

  Fort Erie – Peace Bridge 1-716-843-8300

  Detroit – Ambassador Bridge 1-313-393-3793